Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tears, Diapers, and Coloring Books


 Korle Bu Teaching Hospital 
Accra, Ghana



For the next two weeks, possibly longer, I will be spending time at Korle Bu's Children Block. Composed of inpatient wards and outpatient clinics it is a bustling avenue of patients, parents, and health care professionals. The wards are broken down based on specialty such as Hematology/Oncology and Renal, with nurses, medical students, house staff, residents, and consultants providing the bulk of care.   





  




   Rounds are done in the morning where medical students present patients to consultants and medical therapy is discussed



 During the afternoon, older children watch cartoons on the above television


Neonatal/ Baby Ward

 

      Special clinics are done every day of the week including neurology, sickle cell, and cardiology.  



In just a matter of days I have seen some the most amazing cases that seem as if they are straight out of my medical textbook. I hope to share a few of them on the blog in the upcoming weeks.


~Akua

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Health Home for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Health Home. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete