Wednesday, September 17, 2014

How I Did It: Physical Therapy

Dr. Bridges Darko is a Doctor of Physical Therapy based in New York City


1) How and why did you choose physical therapy?

Growing up, I did not know anything about physical therapy or dream of becoming one until the late years of my undergraduate studies. My initial dream was to become an electrical/mechanical engineer, accountant or work in the military.  To me this was typical of a kid from South Bronx. As I began my college journey in the fall of 2001, I had no inclination of what major to pursue, so I spent my first two years without declaring a major.

In 2003, I took a year off from school and visited Ghana. Prior to going to Ghana, I cared for my late aunt for two months who was hospitalized at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC. The experience changed my whole perspective and scope about life and provided me with an opportunity to shift my focus towards the health field. Once I decided to go into the health field, my father who is one of my biggest aspirations advised me to pursue nursing or become a doctor based on the job security, financial stability, and other advantages within these professions. In the process, I reconnected with an old friend whose father was a surgeon and worked for the NFL franchise, The New England Patriots. He encouraged me and offered me a job as a Sports trainer after completion of my studies. I was very driven and inspired to seek an interest in exercise science. 

While in my third year at Morrisville State College, I transferred to the University of Buffalo with the intention of becoming an exercise science major. Upon graduating from Buffalo University, I worked for a non-profit organization in NYC for a year, was unhappy with my job and did not feel connected to my goal and the path that I was determined to pursue, so I applied to graduate school. I was accepted to Russell Sage College School of Physical Therapy in the fall of 2008. These events along with the challenges and obstacles I encountered during my undergraduate studies has contributed to the passion I posses towards helping and serving patients in the field I work in. I strive to provide the best and adequate care, as well support to my patients.


2) What is a typical work day like?

I work an 8hr shift which starts from 8:30am-4:30pm with the elderly population. My schedule usually varies from time to time however, within the last three to four years, I have been working a rotational schedule throughout the hospital and in other departments. The rotation takes place every six to eight months and allows me to gain more exposure and experience. I have had the opportunity to work in the following areas (spinal cord, traumatic brain Injury, pulmonary rehabilitation, orthopedic/amputations, outpatient, skills nursing home and sub-acute/acute setting).  Each department differs in schedule and workday. At the present time, I am working at a skilled nursing home and by far, the experience has been great along with a flexible schedule. I also have private patients that I see after work at their homes about once or twice a week.

3) What is the most and least rewarding aspect of your job?

Being a physical therapist is very rewarding in itself. You get the privilege of working with patients one-on-one and see the progress through treatment as well as getting to know them and see the difference that you make in their lives. Over the years, what has been the most rewarding for me is helping patients to recover and live their daily lives to the best of their ability. The least rewarding part of my job is seeing patients health and mobility decompensate as well as lack of motivation towards getting better.

4) What educational requirements are necessary prior to applying to Physical therapy school?

As with most health professions, anyone applying to physical therapy (PT) school must have an understanding of the sciences, particularly anatomy, biology, physics, physiology and other health sciences. It is important to lay a foundation as early as possible, even starting with advanced science courses in high school. Physical therapy education includes both classroom instruction and clinical experience.  There are a number of schools that offer physical therapy degrees in the NYC tri-state area and other places across the country.

 When considering physical therapy, it is very critical to make sure to take the time to research the schools available to you and determine the ones with the best fit. The key is to ensure that the schools you apply for are accredited. Then complete prerequisite courses for your designated programs. Also, look for opportunities to gain physical therapy experiences and have all of your hours verified by a physical therapist, if required by your designated program. Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) at least 6 weeks before the application deadline. (Freshmen-entry students may be required to submit SAT or ACT scores). Request references from appropriate individuals, if required by your designated programs. Arrange for official transcripts from every college/university attended, to be sent to PTCAS or the institution, as required by the programs. Submit the completed application early and before the program's deadline date. Some programs use a rolling admissions process. PTCAS applicants should also review the PTCAS checklist. In order to practice, all physical therapists must receive a graduate degree from an accredited program prior to taking the national licensing exam.  With few exceptions, most programs are on the doctorate degree level.

5) Would you choose this career if you could make this decision again?
 
Yes, I can honestly say that being a physical therapist has tremendously changed my life and given me a purpose. Each day, I meet new patients from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. I truly enjoy what I do and I can only hope for the best in my future as a physical therapist.  You can also open up your own private practice if you have the means/finances.

6) What do you wish you knew when you were contemplating this career that you know now?

Prior to undergrad, I wished I had more exposure in the field of physical therapy and obtained more course work and understanding of the sciences. Having the foundation in the sciences and biomechanics earlier in high school would have prepared me much better. In addition attending some state schools may have proven to be a less expensive option that private ones, without necessarily compromising on quality.

7) Are there any trends in your career that concern you? What is the future of this field?
Currently there are no trends that concern me. As a matter of fact, physical therapy was among the 10 fastest-growing jobs in November 2012, according to CNNMoney.com and USNEWs 100 best jobs of 2014. Employment for physical therapists is forecast to grow 39 percent from 2012 to 2022, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.  Therefore the future is very promising. However, inspite of its positive outlook, it remains one of the most challenging careers to enter.

8)Career and life balance, is it possible?
It all depends on the department/facility/settings.  Each varies from acute care, rehab/sub-acute rehab, skilled nursing facility, outpatient clinic, school/preschool, wellness/prevention/sports/fitness, home health, hospice, industrial/occupational environments, local/state/federal government and research center. Aside from a full time position at your work place, you can work as much as you want or as little as you want. There are a lot of opportunities to work for extra pay or get paid by the day. It is all up to you and what you hope to accomplish financially.  Overall, many professionals join physical therapy for the great work/life balance and financial stability.

9) Average salaries?
The median annual wage for entry-level physical therapists was $79,860 in 2012, according to the BLS. The best-paid 10 percent of workers in the category made $112,020, while the bottom 10 percent made $55,620. The highest wages are for home health care, consulting positions and per diems, making anywhere from $100,000-125,000. The best-paid physical therapists live in Las Vegas, Nevada, Fairbanks, Alaska, and Jacksonville, Florida. For salary range, 75th percentile makes $92,860, median, about $79,860 and for the 25th percentile, something in the neighborhood of $66,950.


10) Any websites you recommend for more information on physical therapy?
The APTA’s websites and APTA’s centralized application system allows students interested in physical therapy to view school admission requirements. For more information, visit www.ptcas.org.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Health Home for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Health Home. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete