Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Other Side of the Stethoscope

Source
                                                                       
For the better part of residency I have been blessed with good health despite being surrounded by others who aren't feeling well. The day finally came a few months back when my health took a (slight) turn for the worse and I found myself sitting on a cold examining table. While waiting in the
room alone after the nurse had taken my vitals and asked me tons of questions I knew the doctor would ask again (don't you hate that!) I asked myself, "How did I end up here?!" "How did I go from being the caregiver to the receiver?!" I was now the patient and I was not feeling it!

 It's been said that doctors (and most medical professionals) make the worse patients. We are notorious for not seeking help until the last minute, sweeping symptoms under the rug, and not taking the same treatment we offer our patients. I was the perfect example of these tendencies. From self-diagnosing and self-medicating ( because I know what's wrong, right?), to working while sick when I clearly should have taken off, to even refusing pain meds because I didn't want to become "addicted like my patients" I was the epitome of every doctor's worse nightmare.

Source
There is a level of immunity built by working in a health care center, however chronic fatigue and sleep deprivation from working 60+ hours a week can make you vulnerable to any bug dying to have a  field day with your immune system. Getting sick was the reality check I needed. I thank God everyday for the opportunity to fulfill my dream of being a physician but in all honesty, my own health and safety should take precedence over my career.  There is no way I can care for others if I am not at my optimal best.


Source


Being on the other side of the stethoscope was an eye opener. I experienced the patient perspective and many of the sources of  frustration- the long wait time, scheduling conflicts, cancellations, co payments! I also felt the fear, anxiety, and vulnerability that occurs when you place your well being in the hands of another.

One thing I appreciate from my experience and hope to emulate as a care provider is the empathy I felt from my doctor- I sensed he was truly concerned with my health and wanted me to get better. I also hope to become more patient with answering questions, because I sure did bombard my
physician with several! As I look towards my future practice I hope to use this experience to build a stronger doctor-patient relationship and use both perspectives to provide optimal care. And now when I say "I know how you feel" I will truly mean it.

Ohemaa's MD

2 comments:

  1. Love the post! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Only experience can make you a better person.
    Here's to happy endings.

    ReplyDelete