Monday, March 11, 2013

Stylin in Scrubs

I remember when the movie "Two Can Play that Game" came out in the 90's (showing my age) and my goal in life was to be a rocking business woman like the one Vivica Fox played. From the luxurious apartment to the fast sports car she drove,  I thought she had it all. What I envied the most were the fly business suits she would wear to work. I loved how stylish and put together she looked, always commanding respect when she entered a room.


Soon after, these chicks entered the television world and my obsession with glamorous work attire became even worse. 





Then I got this crazy idea that I wanted to be a doctor, never considering the fact that sexy suits just might not be suitable for the work place. When I began my clinical rotations in medical school I tried to add a bit of flare with my short white coat, always planning out my outfits the night before. Then my surgery clerkship started and I was introduced to a new way of life.



Aah, the scrub! The all-telling uniform of the hospital worker. I was now succumbed to two choices of outfit colors, blue or green. And I didn't even attempt to augment my look with jewelry; dangling earrings and Forever 21 necklaces are not an option in the OR.

Since starting residency I've since learned to embrace the scrub way of life and have come to appreciate the awesomeness of the scrub. Not only do I no longer have to iron in the morning, but I can snooze for an extra 10 minutes knowing that I just have to throw on a matching top and bottom and head to work. Granted being the fashionista that I (believe) I am, I still try to hook up my plain scrubs. 

♪ Gold all in my chain! 

One of the  major down sides to the scrub way of life is the facade it leads you to believe. Since they are drawstring and very roomy, you never realize how your weight is changing as you devour late night pizza, midnight ice cream, and coffee while on call.When you finally return to regular clothes.....well what do we have here, my pants won't zip!

Sadly, it's unconventional for doctors to wear the multi-colored, multi-patterned scrubs nurses are privileged to wear. Trust and believe if I could I'd wear cartoon scrubs all day like this I would.






So for now I'll wear my scrubs with pride! I may not be a smashing Carrie from Sex and the City, but I think I'm a pretty smashing doctor in my all cotton glory. One day I will be at the attending physician level where I'll be expected to dress nicely everyday. Until then I'll just have to add my best accessory to my scrubs- my smile :).






 

5 comments:

  1. LOL i still watch Two Can Play That Game to this day just to re-envy her fab life! All the characters in that movie were 28 - - sigh! #pre-recession

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that my problem with those lovely scrubs was that they do not come in petite. I am on ly 4' 11" and no matter what size I got the pants were TOO LONG!! One morning I was tired of walking on my pants so I cut them off at the bottom and not quite straight. The staff got a real kick out of that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gold all in my chain!! hahaha!! That stethoscope would be stolen in 5 minutes in the ED
    I have gained SOOOO much weight in my residency due to wearing scrubs everyday. Especially when some attendings allow us to wear scrubs in clinic! I am going to try and wear regular clothes to/from the hospital. But yeah, they are super unflattering, but super comfy. Maybe I will get some fancy bouffant scrub caps, or wear some better eye make up. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could feel myself gaining weight on surgery. Darn scrubs! But that extra sleep was blessed! This post is everything Dr. Trinidad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank Ultimate Health Home for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Health Home. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can contact them at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete